The general management of the University is provided by the Academic Council, the elective representative body.
The Academic Council consists of the Rector who is the Chairman of the Council, the President and the Vice Rectors. Other council members are elected by secret ballot at the conference, as advised by the faculties, structural units and public bodies according to the electoral quotient set by the Academic Council in office.
The Academic Council term of office cannot be longer than 5 years.
The Academic Council has the authority
- to determine the University organizational structure;
- to make decisions about any aspect of instructional process;
- to make decisions about research and development, planning thereof, funding and financial reporting;
- to establish the procedure for making up R&D plans assigned by the Founder and to establish the reporting procedure;
- to change the academic year starting date;
- to determine the procedure for setting up the Board of Trustees, the Board of Review and other university boards;
- to approve the Regulations on the election procedure of the University Rector, and to appoint the conference date and agenda;
- to approve the Regulations on Scholarships, to determine the scholarship size for the students holding Russian citizenship;
- to consider the opportunities to provide professional training and retraining within the framework of the main and supplementary programs to be licensed;
- to make decisions to lease out the property administered by the University on the basis of operative management;
- to hear the reports of the Rector and the President evaluating the performance of the University team throughout a year, and to determine the guidelines for further development;
- to adopt the short-term one-year plan as well as a long term plan of economic and social development of the University;
- to take decisions on the election of the Faculty Deans and Department Heads, as well as the faculty on the basis of competitive selection; to examine the procedure of signing labour contracts with employees;
- to examine the personal accreditation files concerning the nomination for academic ranks and titles of honor, as well as nomination for governmental awards, trade and regional awards;
- to bestow the titles of the "Honorary University Professor", the "Honorary University Doctor" and to decorate with the "Honorary University Worker" lapel badge;
- to admit to the postgraduate programs of study, to assign candidates to postgraduate research areas, to delegate faculty to go on research trainseeship, to promote to academic positions necessary for preparing dissertation theses, and to give sabbatical leaves;
- to determine the procedure of spending extra-budgetary funds, as well as social funds for University workers and students;
- to regularly hear reports and presentations on the current research problems, the most notable achievements of University scholars, etc.